On behalf of the core volunteers in PSL, we want to sincerely thank you for your participation and encouragement at the PSL Fishbowl event. It was collaborative and colloquial where people made candid statements about PSL and where the startup scene in Philly should be headed.
The entire event was captured on video, we snapped some photos throughout, and we also used the Yorn collaboration platform to collect and permanently capture feedback.
The event started with some opening remarks by myself where I tried to explain the history and present state of PSL, and then we broke-up into 6 different groups to brainstorm about individual problems. Each of the groups then took 5 minutes to present their problem and proposed some solutions.
We used Yorn to collect feedback throughout the event, and you can review all of the comment feeds at the links below. We chose not to moderate these forums and so you’ll see of the standard banter you would expect from an online forum. One of the features/drawbacks is that all posts are anonymous which made it interesting at times.
- Main Room
- Group A - Brad Oyler and Karl Okomoto
- Group B - Eamon Gallagher and Chris DiFonzo
- Group C - Greg Berry and X1
- Group D - Jameel Farruk and X2
- Group E - Chris Stanchak and David Manlove
- Group F - Fred Wilf
It’s fun to watch the individual group presentations, and the impact the live Yorn feeds have during the talks. We had an issue with the microphone at times, and so you might need to crank the volume. I have two outstanding Mechanical Turk jobs, and so I’m hoping to have the presentations transcribed to text in the near future.
Opening Remarks by Chris Cera
Group C was so organized they created a presentation and an outline! They are both posted below.
Membership Presentation by Group C
Membership Outline by Group C
Outside The Fishbowl
There was a number of articles written in the blogosphere the day of or immediately after the Fishbowl (not to mention our mailing list as well). Below is a mostly complete list of posts:
- “state of startups: a new philly underdog story” by Joe Petrucci
- “Starting up” by Alex Hillman
- “What is a Startup Leader” by Brian Glick
- “Philly Startup Leaders holds “fishbowl” to refresh, reinvent itself” by Sean Blanda
- “Philly Startup Leaders is dealing with an Identity Crisis” by Alex Hillman
- “The PSL – Fishbowl” by Phil Ives
- “A Path for PSL – One Man’s Take” by Brian Glick
- “My Addendum to PSL Fishbowl” by Brad Oyler
We’re going to be announcing some resolutions in the next week. We sincerely want to thank everyone that contributed, and we look forward to your ongoing feedback.